Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is a Michael & Son the Right Franchise Opportunity For Me?
We do not require that our franchisees have a background in the trades (HVAC, plumbing, electrical services). A successful franchise candidate will have:
excellent managerial skills,
an unyielding commitment to customer service, and
a strong personal drive to build the dominant home services company in their market.
If you do have a background in one or more of the trades, that’s great! We offer incentives to prospective franchisees who plan to convert an existing services business into a Michael & Son Services franchise.
Of course, to operate a Michael & Son Services business, you probably will need to have at least one person in each trade that is licensed in your state on staff or in your ownership group. Please refer to the laws and regulations in your state.
2. Can I Operate One Trade or Do I Need to Operate All Three Trades?
We expect our franchisees to operate each of the three trades (HVAC, plumbing, electrical services).
3. Does Michael & Son Provide an Initial Training Program After I Purchase a Franchise?
Absolutely! The better trained you are to run a Michael & Son Franchise business, the better your business can run! We offer a 3-4 week (15 to 20 business days) training program at our corporate headquarters in Alexandria, VA. We also offer training and site set-up at your location for an additional 2 week (10 business days) period after corporate training. The initial 5-6 week training is included in your franchise fee. Travel, lodging and food are additional and are to be paid for by the franchisee. We also offer free ongoing l training to our franchisees, managers and technicians at the corporate home office (travel, food and lodging are to be paid by the franchisee).
4. Can I Count On Continued Support from The Corporate Office Once I am Up and Running with A Franchise?
• Our in-house marketing staff will produce advertising and marketing materials for you to use and will be available to assist you with special requests, as time permits.
• We operate a 24-hour/7 days-a-week customer service call center that will book customer appointments for you.
• Our in-house telephone sales department will conduct telephone marketing campaigns.
• We will provide periodic software updates and training.
• We will provide you with managerial reports, benchmarking, advice and other information, as opportunities arise.
• Ongoing sales and technical training classes for your employees as well as management
5. How Long Does It Take To Open a Michael & Son Franchise?
We expect that it will take between 2 and 6 months to open a Michael & Son Services business. If you are converting an existing home services business, it may not take as long.
6. How Much Income Can I Generate from a Michael & Son Franchise?
We do not project what the results of any franchisee will be. In Item 19 of the FDD, we provide some historical data relating to the revenues of our corporate and affiliate-owned operations. Please refer to the FDD for more information.
7. What are the Initial Costs for Owning and Operating a Michael & Son Franchise?
The Estimated Initial Investment to open a Michael & Son Services Franchise is $171,000 to $402,200. Your actual costs will depend on your industry experience (if any), equipment and supplies owned, the scale of your initial operations (number of trucks, staffing, facility size, etc.), the size of the MSA in which your market is located and the costs of advertising in that MSA and whether other Michael & Son Services businesses are already operating in the MSA in which you will operate.
8. What is the Initial Franchise Fee?
The initial franchise fee is $40,000. (This is included in the Estimated Initial Investment described above).
9. Do you offer military veterans a discount?
Thank you for your service! We offer qualified veterans a $5,000 discount on the Initial Franchise Fee.
10. Is There a Continuing Royalty Fee for Michael & Son Franchise?
There is a royalty fee of 5% of your gross revenues.
11. Does Michael & Son Offer Start-Up Financing?
No. We expect that you will obtain financing through third-party lenders. We will work with your lender to provide additional information they may request.
12. What territories are available?
Currently, we are actively seeking franchisees in South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Texas and parts of North Carolina. If you are interested in a franchise in a territory outside of those areas, please let us know and we will let you know if we plan to expand in that area in the near future.